Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

The factors that determine child support in Kentucky

Establishing child support payments is an important part of ensuring that a child’s basic needs are provided for. In Kentucky, there are guidelines in place that can help a judge determine who may make payments and how much those payments may be.

Under the law, the court will assess the number of children in the home and what the combined gross income is every month for each parent. It will determine how much money is necessary to support the children, factoring in items such as the cost of health insurance and daycare, if applicable.

From there, the court will start to establish how much each parent is responsible for contributing to that amount. For example, one parent makes $1,000 a month, and the other makes $3,000 a month. The combined gross income is $4,000 a month, with the first parent making 25 percent and the other making 75 percent of that sum. Therefore, the first parent may only have to contribute 25 percent toward the amount needed to support the child, and the other may have to contribute 75 percent.

It is important to note that the court can take extenuating circumstances into account. A child with special needs or a parent facing large medical expenses could alter the formula.

The Kentucky Child Support Program can act as an advocate for parents seeking to establish or enforce child support payments through providing the following services: 

  • Determining paternity
  • Locating noncustodial parents
  • Collecting delinquent payments

In many cases, it may be necessary to go to court in order to determine or enforce payments. Under those circumstances, it is imperative to seek the help of a professional who knows and understands Kentucky law.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

map
BBB Accredited business A+