Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

What to do when your court order no longer works

Life is full of changes. Over the years, we may change jobs, spouses, cities and more. Children also change as they grow, often in ways we could never predict.

Some of these changes may result in divorce or child custody orders no longer making sense for our families. When this happens, we can’t simply just decide to change thing up. Instead, we have to get permission from the court to modify the orders in place.

Post-divorce modifications are somewhat common and most frequently involve child custody arrangements or child support orders that no longer make sense because of income changes or children who have grown older. 

For example, a parent may ask the court for a child support modification after losing a job or experiencing a loss in business. In other cases, a parent may ask for the child support order to be increased or decreased after the other parent begins making more money.

Or, parents may ask to adapt a child custody arrangement that was put in place years ago when the children were very young. Another common reason parents seek custody modifications is when a parent wishes to move out of the area with the child, or one parent has military obligations.

Sometimes these changes are supported by both parties, while other times there is a disagreement over whether the changes should take place. In either case, it is important to seek legal help modifying the original order because judges are often hesitant to make changes.

If circumstances in your life have changed and you think that a modification is necessary, talk to an experienced family law attorney for guidance. Working with an experienced lawyer can help make sure that a favorable solution is reached in your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

BBB Accredited business A+