Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

Can you move with your child away from the other parent?

One of the freedoms we enjoy in America is the freedom to move from one state to another as we wish. However, what if you are divorced or separated from your child’s other parent, and you decide to move to another state? Can your ex prevent you from moving out of Kentucky?

Unfortunately, freedoms may become more restricted when it comes to sharing custody. According to the Commonwealth of Kentucky Court of Justice, both you and your child’s other parent have the right to regular visitation when it is court-mandated. If you move out of the area with your child, it could make it more difficult, if not impossible, for the other parent to see the child. However, this does not mean that you must remain where you are, no matter what. If you decide to move and both you and your ex legally share joint custody, you are required to file a notice in writing about your intent with the court and serve a copy to the other parent. He or she will then have 20 days to file a motion to modify the custody arrangement.

If you are the parent with sole legal custody, the other parent can only file a motion if his or her visitation, as ordered by the court, would be impacted. It is also possible that your ex-spouse is agreeable about your upcoming move. If that is the case, there should not be too much of a problem, but it would be advisable to get this agreement in writing. Since custodial matters may be complex, you should remember that this information is intended to be general, and should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

BBB Accredited business A+