Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

Seeking child support when a parent is voluntarily unemployed

When a former Kentucky couple splits up, the parent who does not have primary custody of the kids may likely be ordered to pay child support. While these payments are often supposed to be made to help the parent with primary custody pay for the children's clothing, food, medical care and other child-related expenses, some people attempt to avoid making payments, leaving the full cost of raising the children on the primary custodian.

One way that some parents try to avoid making payments is through voluntary impoverishment. This essentially means that individuals choose not to work or do not report their income. If the custodial parent believes that this is what is happening, he or she can contact the local Office of Child Support Enforcement. The staff can assist a person with filing a child support order in court if one has not yet been established.

The agency will also look over the other parent's employment history. If they also believe that the person is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, they will determine what the individual's earning potential is based on his or her education and past employment records. They will then determine the amount of child support he or she should be paying.

Children of separated or divorced parents are entitled to child support. The court takes accusations of child support avoidance very seriously as it can have an effect on the welfare of the children. A family law attorney may assist someone with gathering financial evidence that may demonstrate that the other parent either is failing to report his or her income or is voluntarily unemployed in order to avoid making payments. Depending on the situation, the court may garnish the other parent's wages, take his or her tax return or create a payment plan. If the parent still defies the court order, a lawyer may determine the custodial parent's options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

BBB Accredited business A+