Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

What to consider before relocating with a child

Kentucky parents and others may have a need to relocate for work or other purposes. However, if the noncustodial parent has visitation or other rights to a child, the custodial parent may need to get permission to relocate. Whether or not permission is granted depends on whether or not the relocation is in the best interests of the child. This is generally determined based on how far the parent is moving and why the move is taking place.

If the move is a short one that is being made for work purposes, it will likely be approved. The same is true if it means that the child is closer to family members. In some cases, the custodial parent may get permission to relocate by modifying the existing visitation order. For example, the custodial parent could agree to allow for extended visitation periods or agree to meet to do exchanges somewhere convenient for both parents.

A parent will generally need to show that there won't be a significant interruption to the child's life by relocating. Ideally, the custodial parent will know where the child will go to school or what he or she will do for fun. If the child is old enough, he or she may have input into who to stay with after the relocation takes place.

If a dispute arises regarding parenting time or visitation schedules, it may be a good idea for a parent to consult with an attorney. This may be true whether parents have come to an agreement on their own or if negotiations are not yielding any results. A legal professional may offer insight that could lead to an agreement being reached that works for the parents and is also in the best interest of the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

BBB Accredited business A+