Blankenship Massey & Associates, Attorneys at Law
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation 859-905-0936
View Practice Areas

What fathers can do to get visitation, manage child support

Some unmarried Kentucky fathers might struggle to get custody or visitation rights. Since the vast majority of custodial parents are mothers, fathers may also have trouble keeping up child support payments. However, these dads should still try to pay something toward support. They can always go to court and ask for a modification. In certain cases, such as after a job loss, a modification will be easier to obtain.

Some unmarried fathers may have to establish paternity before they can get visitation or custody rights. It's possible that the father will not be listed on the birth certificate. Fathers who make an effort to establish paternity early on may have fewer obstacles compared to fathers who must be located by the court.

Another problem may arise for fathers who are faced with protection orders. These are generally initiated when issues of abuse or neglect are brought up by one parent. While most orders are legitimate, some may be the result of misunderstandings. Fathers in this situation may want to talk to an attorney about how they might regain access to their children.

In some cases, a father might be required to complete a class or a program, such as parenting classes or a substance abuse rehabilitation program. In other cases, a father may be limited to supervised visitation. This means another party must be present when the father is with the children. However, there are also situations in which parents who are divorced or who were never married might be able to amicably negotiate custody and visitation schedules without going to court. The agreement can still be made legally binding.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn Your Legal Options Before You Make A Decision

For a free consultation, please call 859-905-0936 or fill out the form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us Today

Contact Blankenship Massey & Associates

Erlanger Office Location
504 Erlanger Road
Erlanger, KY 41018

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Fax: 859-426-9001
Erlanger Law Office Map

Dry Ridge Office Location
20 South Main
Dry Ridge, KY 41035

Toll Free: 800-491-9956
Phone: 859-905-0936
Dry Ridge Law Office Map

BBB Accredited business A+